Re: [oletrucks] More Magnetic Stainless Steel

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] More Magnetic Stainless Steel
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:26:32 +0000
Grant Galbraith wrote:

> I just got my "stainless" headlight retainer rings from Chevy Duty and
> found them to be very magnetic even though the tech person there gave me
> the feeling that it was dumb of me to ask if they were stainless steel.
> I try to avoid anything plated from after market vendors after watching
> park light and braklight bezels rust within a year. I also noticed my
> "stainless" hood  Chevrolet was very magnetic, too bad it's been in my
> garage for a couple of years and I can't remember who I bought it from
> or I would return it. BTW my last two orders from Chevy Duty seem to
> take a week to leave the warehouse even though they tell me the stuff is
> in stock, another week for shipping. Anyone know of a source of real
> stainless headlight retainer rings?
>
> Grant 50 3100

Its been awhile since collage, but if I remember right, there are types
of stainless steel that are magnetic, i.e. a magnet sticks to them.
Most all stainless steels have a some iron in them.  Anybody else know
anything about this?  Don't make me find my college texts!!

Gene Davis
'58 GMC NAPCO 1/2 T