RE: [oletrucks] EUREKA! RE: Loose throttle rod, intake manifold l

To: "'Jeremy Eastman'" <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] EUREKA! RE: Loose throttle rod, intake manifold l
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:25:49 -0600
I recently bought Doug Roe's book on Rochester Carbs.  I have a 79 C20
with a Quadrajet and I am going to tackle a rebuild on it one of these
days.  Anyway, he discusses fuel filters and to quote.

*A fuel filter should be used between the fuel pump and the carburetor.
Never use any kind of filter, other than a simple screen, on the suction
side of a fuel pump.  This is true regardless of the type of fuel pump.
The usual screen at the tank outlet will work fine if it is clean.*

The idea is to keep the suction side of the pump as non-restrictive as
possible thus minimizing head loss and prevent the fuel from flashing
into vapor.  He does, however, discuss this in the high performance
section of the book.  Whether the volume of fuel is large enough to
create enough head loss for vapor lock to occur in an Ole Truck --who
knows?

Seems to me I have seen the glass bowl filter on the discharge of fuel
pumps of some Ole Trucks.  Perhaps that was an option?  My 56 has no
fuel filter at all.

Anyway, fuel for thought.

Mike