[oletrucks] With what do I paint tranny?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] With what do I paint tranny?
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 00:38:38 EDT
Can anyone help me with what color paint or special coating was applied to
the transmission case and/or bellhousing? The truck I'm restoring is a '53
GMC with Hydra-matic transmission. The '53 Hydra-matic manual ( black and
white ) shows some really good pictures of the tranny and bellhousing and the
bellhousing appears to be painted (same as engine?)while the transmission has
some sort of a transparent phosphate coating on it. Am I on the right track
here? Or are the pictures misleading me? I can't tell anything about the
paint by looking at it now because when I bought the truck it was basically a
basketcase/ rustbomb/ cracked block/ death trap ( it almost ran me over
coming off the trailer). I am trying to get as close to original as possible.
I would really appreciate any help.Thanks ahead.

Dustin

clllsls@aol.com