Re: [oletrucks] With what do I paint tranny?

To: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] With what do I paint tranny?
From: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 09:25:38 -0500
CLLLSLS@aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone help me with what color paint or special coating was
> applied to
> the transmission case and/or bellhousing? The truck I'm restoring is a
> '53
> GMC with Hydra-matic transmission. The '53 Hydra-matic manual ( black
> and
> white ) shows some really good pictures of the tranny and bellhousing
> and the
> bellhousing appears to be painted (same as engine?)while the
> transmission has
> some sort of a transparent phosphate coating on it. Am I on the right
> track
> here? Or are the pictures misleading me? I can't tell anything about
> the
> paint by looking at it now because when I bought the truck it was
> basically a
> basketcase/ rustbomb/ cracked block/ death trap ( it almost ran me
> over
> coming off the trailer). I am trying to get as close to original as
> possible.
> I would really appreciate any help.Thanks ahead.
>
> Dustin
>
> clllsls@aol.com
> 1959

   Dustin
The way that I understand it, whether or not cast parts were painted at
the factory depended on production pace. Some were and some were'nt.
To reproduce the new cast appearance on these parts on my truck, I used
a spray paint called Cast Blast. The stuff comes in a spray can and when
sprayed looks exactly like freshly cast iron.
If I'm not mistaken, if these parts were painted, they were usually
black.
Good luck
Brad