Re: [oletrucks] Gas prices.....perspective

To: Lewis Osborn <losborn@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gas prices.....perspective
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:47:31 -0600
Lewis Osborn wrote:

> Tuesday, July 27, 1999, 10:45:36 PM, Gene wrote:
>
> > Lewis Osborn wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Well, here's a different perspective.  I still think that gasoline has
>gone up
> >> less in the past 75 years than most anything else you can find, (except, of
> >> course, computers, etc) but gouging is gouging.  If I worked at an oil
> >> facility these days, I'd be looking over my shoulder.  After decades with
> >> virtually no losses, the industry is losing one every couple of weeks -
>and,
> >> each time they loose one, the price at the pump pops at least a nickel.
>The
> >> only times that the price at the pumps has gone up in the past forty years
>has
> >> been due to various crisis - mostly created and/or unsubstantiated.
> <snip>
> > What do you mean by "losing one every couple of weeks"?  Losing one of
> > what?  What is an oil facility?  Yeah, I work in the oil industry, and
>
> I don't have the details at my fingertips, but from memory:  Two refinery
> explosions in California (the Bay Area?) just before the first recent hike in
> prices.  Then, just as prices started back down, a pipeline in northern
> Washington State had a spill and a fire, killing a couple of bystanders, I
> believe, and prices went up again.  They eased off again, and, from bits and
> pieces I caught on the news, some other refinery had a problem of some sort,
> and the prices are up again.  I'm not making accusations, I'm recounting
> recent events.
>
> > yeah, I'm looking over my shoulder, but who isnt these days.  I'm not
> > going to defend the industry too much one way or another, at least not
> > right now, but from what I understand, they can get close to one barrel
> > of gas from one barrel of crude.  But the equipment it takes to do it
>
> I don't pretend to know much about oil refining, but the kerosene, diesel, and
> other "stuff" have to come from somewhere in that barrel.
>
> > costs money to buy and operate.  Yeah, oil companys make alot of money,
> > so do car companys, construction companys, etc.  Can you still buy a car
> > or house for the same price you could 10 years ago?
>
> No, and, if you look at my post again, you'll see that I stated that, IMO, the
> price of gasoline has risen less in the last 75 years than most other things,
> but, due to the methods used to justify the price increases, I have to wonder
> if the increases were justified by increasing production costs.  It _could_ be
> like Bill Gates limiting the supply of Windows, then raising the price on that
> limited supply.
>
> > I have a hard time believing in any industry contrived or created
> > crisises, the guys I've seen that run these outfits cant get along well
> > enough to do things that are sure to benefit the industry, let alone
> > secretly conspire to raise the prices.  What happened all those times
> [...]

I really dont care a bunch about this issue, but do get tired of the
conspiracy theory stuff related to oil companys.  Politicaly incorrect
or not, what you are talking about is a conspiracy theory.  You site the
refinery and pipeline troubles that cause the upward trend in prices,
and still basicly accuse the oil co's of price fixing. If people died,
as in the pipeline explosion, you are basicly calling somebody a
murderer.  Pretty strong accusations if I'm reading you right.

Yes, these directors serve on the boards of other companys, but you have
to look real hard to find any oil company board of directors with the
chairman of another oil co. on it,  2 chairs might serve together on the
same board of a company like Motorola, or Westinghouse, but they very
rarely are on the boards of other oil co.'s, in fact though I dont know
all the facts about all the oils, it would surprise me greatly to see it
at all.

Then we can talk stock options.  May of these "incentive" plans are
linked to company performance in relation to industry peers.  i.e. your
company has to place at or near the top of the field of other oil co's
in order for you to exercise your option.  Even leaving ego out, this is
a huge incentive to keep one up on your competitor.  Markets,  not
conspiracy, set the prices of commoditys, including gas.  If these guys
are so smart, they would just steadily increase the price, instead of
permitting these wild fluxuations that piss people off.  They are that
smart, and would love to have the means to do this, but there are just
too many factors to control.  If you really want something to blame,
blame government and environmentalists for keeping prices high.  Casper
Wy.  had 3 refineries in '80, now there is one.  Salt Lake City had 7
refinerys in '80, now there are 3.  Thank you EPA and the clean air act,
parts 1 and 2!.  Hey, I like clean air!  I'm willing to pay more for gas
to keep clean air, but lets keep the "more" a reasonable amount.  And we
wont even get into taxes.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not defending CEO's.  The outfit I work for just
merged, as they say, (read friendly take-over) by British Petroleum.
The big winner, from what I see, was the chairman and CEO.  He had a
pile of stock, that suddenly was worth 25% more than a month before.
Not to mention any parachute he might have had.  However, anyone with
stock benifited somewhat.

Yeah, the ole truck runs on gas, which costs the same as it did when I
graduated High School in '81.  Yeah, the paycheck is nice, but if I dont
get it here, I'll get it somewhere else.

Gene Davis
'58 GMC 100
Napco