[oletrucks] Modern fans for pre '55 engines?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Modern fans for pre '55 engines?
From: Andrew Roberts <arobs@becker.u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:31:29 -0700 (PDT)
I'm trying to get my 235 running before I put the front end sheet metal
back on.  One of the last things I need is the fan.  I've heard enough
stories (here and elwhere) of these old fans cracking and sending blades
through hoods, so I stripped all the paint off mine and inspected it
closely.  Sure enough, there's a crack connecting two of the rivets on the
hub.

At the FLAPS, I bought a modern six-blade fan that probably weighs half as
much as the old one.  It has a so called "universal" mounting pattern on
the hub.  Unfortunately, "universal" means anything after '55 and my 235
is from a '54.  It would fit, but the pilot hole in the hub is only 5/8
and the pilot on my water pump is 1".

This raises a few questions:
Does anyone know where to obtain a modern lightweight fan that will fit a
'54 235?  For those hard core restorers out there who would never dream of
putting a new fan on an old engine, what do you do with cracked fans?  I
could weld it, but wouldn't that throw it out of ballance?  Is there an
adapter available to mount a newer fan on a pre '55 water pump?  If so,
how much clearance would it leave between the fan and the radiator?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Roberts
1949 3600