Re: [oletrucks] heating a non-heated intake manifold?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] heating a non-heated intake manifold?
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:18:32 -0700
I've been talking with Pat Smith of Inliner's International, Patrick or
Patrick's, and Tom Langdon of Stovebolt about this very subject.  I too have a
261 with a dual Offy/Rochesters, split exhaust, and RV2 cam.  I have a horrible
stumble off idle in either gentle or hard acceleration.  According to all those
guys, heat to the manifold is foremost.  Secondly, changing the idle and
primary vacuum circuits in the carbs is also a requirement for optimal
performance.  Pat says he gets 20 mpg on the above setup with manifold heat and
re-worked carbs.  Also, Jack Halton suggested the "ping" method for timing the
motor, which I think would also be a requirement.  Dave, you may have a set of
reworked carbs (which would be a major score) or....you're lucky.  I'm not as.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100

>>> <L1Chevy@aol.com> 08/18/99 08:27PM >>>
I'm curious on this subject of carb icing...I've never experienced it , so
I'm wondering if I'm just lucky or what?  I live in Vancouver, WA, which is
similar to Seattle in weather. I have a 261, using the dual Offy
intake...dual Rochesters.....no insulator plates...and a split mainfold...it
seems to operate beautifully in any weather. Is it the fact that I took the
insulator plates out? And is there a downside to doing this?

  Dave Koon
  '51 3100