Re: [oletrucks] heating a non-heated intake manifold?

To: L1Chevy@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] heating a non-heated intake manifold?
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:33:09 -0700
I've always assumed that without the insulators the carbs would get hot
enough in hot weather to boil the gas in the float bowls . This is
definately a problem with Amal carbs on British motorcycles that I'm
familiar with. Makes them very hard to restart when hot. Bad news when you
only have a kick-starter. Boiling may not be a problem for us living in
western Washington or Oregon but I'll bet those in Arizona or Texas would
have that problem. How 'bout it? Any of you southerners have experience
running without heat insulators?

At 11:27 PM 8/18/99 -0400, L1Chevy@aol.com wrote:
>I'm curious on this subject of carb icing...I've never experienced it , so
>I'm wondering if I'm just lucky or what?  I live in Vancouver, WA, which is
>similar to Seattle in weather. I have a 261, using the dual Offy
>intake...dual Rochesters.....no insulator plates...and a split mainfold...it
>seems to operate beautifully in any weather. Is it the fact that I took the
>insulator plates out? And is there a downside to doing this?
>
>  Dave Koon
>  '51 3100

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA