[oletrucks] Considering mods for hauling

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Considering mods for hauling
From: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:43:11 PDT
Hi all,

I'm considering a few mods for making my '50 3100 more suitable for hauling.
  I may be occasionally hauling a 20-26 foot 5th wheel camper trailer (not
yet procurred) over the next several years.  The truck currenlty has a 350
small block, TH 350 tranny, '68 Camaro rear end and front disc brakes.

For an engine I'm considering the following options:  350 small block with
TPI, 454, 502 (hee, hee!), chevy diesel, Cummins diesel.  I'm not really
aware of the relative advantages and disadvantages of these, aside from
obvious horsepower differences.  I'm interested in diesel, have any of you
guys done any diesel engine swaps?

The tranny will most likely be a B&M Traveller's 400 which is intended for
towing.

For an axle I'm not sure what to use.  I'm wondering if the Camaro 10 bolt
can be sufficiently beefed up or if I should swap it yet again.  If I swap
I'm wondering if I should go to a 1/2 ton truck unit, 3/4 ton, Ford 9", and
I'm wondering if a late 70s Caddy unit would be good as they already have
disc brakes.

For the brakes I believe a four wheel disc brake system is in order.  I
understand that some truck rear axles with heavier drums might be good too.

For suspension I will likely install some overload springs on the rear until
I can afford to upgrade to air bags.

Does anyone have any advise on any of these points?  I would appreciate
hearing from anyone who uses their oletruck for heavier hauling.  Thanks a
bunch!!  :^)

Dave Riffel