Re: [oletrucks] Considering 53 GMC hauling

To: cafe_dave@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Considering 53 GMC hauling
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 06:29:34 EDT
53 was the first year for one ton Bendix brakes on Chev, and probably same
for GMC.  They agre good.  I don't have any problems with my 54 one ton chev
wrecker, even when overloaded.  3/4 ton brakes are much smaller and would be
marginal with a real load.  14 x 2-1/2 rears do the job well.

engine is probably 228 but could be 248.  Check engine serial number.  It
should start with  displacement.

bob ADler

<< I can get a 53 GMC
 long bed 1 ton registered as a 3/4 ton.  It is complete, runs (albeit the
 fuel system needs cleaned out after sitting for 12 yrs) and for $1200 seems
 like a pretty good deal.  It's all original and has maybe 10,000 miles.

 I do have some questions about this one too.  Does anyone know what engine
 may be in there, it's definitely the original.  Also would the brakes be up
 to the task under modern driving conditions.  I'm confident the engine will
 be capable, even if this would be a slow rig.  I'd like to keep it as
 original as possible with the exceptions of good brakes and a 12 volt
 upgrade, if I end up going this route. >>