[oletrucks] Considering 53 GMC hauling

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Considering 53 GMC hauling
From: "dave riffel" <cafe_dave@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:52:10 PDT
Well, I got a lot of great advice on this so far.  Thanks to everyone.  I
think in light of the extensive mods necessary to my 1/2 ton I would likely
be better off looking for a 3/4 ton or better. Even though a big block
sounds like _sooo_ much fun.  I just happen to know where I can get a 53 GMC
long bed 1 ton registered as a 3/4 ton.  It is complete, runs (albeit the
fuel system needs cleaned out after sitting for 12 yrs) and for $1200 seems
like a pretty good deal.  It's all original and has maybe 10,000 miles.

I do have some questions about this one too.  Does anyone know what engine
may be in there, it's definitely the original.  Also would the brakes be up
to the task under modern driving conditions.  I'm confident the engine will
be capable, even if this would be a slow rig.  I'd like to keep it as
original as possible with the exceptions of good brakes and a 12 volt
upgrade, if I end up going this route.

Thanks again!  I really appreciate everyone's input.

Dave Riffel