[oletrucks] Shackle installation on a '58

To: "Chevy Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Shackle installation on a '58
From: "Stephen" <slb1@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:36:14 -0700
Hello,

I am installing new front shackles on my '58 1/2 ton.  I have a few
questions:

1.  My old shackles had lock washers on the shackle nuts but the kits I got
from Chevy Duty had none.  Also it seems that putting on lock washers leaves
only enough thread for about 3/4 of the nut thickness.  Do I use the
washers?

2.  The shackle plates have square holes in them which would take a carriage
bolt running between the plates but no such bolts were provided?  Do I need
these bolts?  My original shackles had no holes and thus not bolts.

3.  How tight do I make the nuts on the side plates?  It seems that I will
continue to compress the seals with normal tightening.  The manual says use
lock washers and tighten to 25-30 ft lbs.  Seems kind of loose.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

'50 Suburban
'58 Fleetside 3200