[oletrucks] 55.2 door panels

To: "'simplerule@austin.rr.com'" <simplerule@austin.rr.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] 55.2 door panels
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:32:18 -0500
I'll bet Heavy Chevy can supply you with some good used ones.

By the way, I ran into a little problem with these door panels.  I purchased

rebuilt doors for my '57 GMC and when I tried to mount the door panels the
1/4x20 screws were too big for one of the doors.  Turns out that the door
the
rebuilder sold to me was from a 55.2 or maybe an early 56 doors which
used #12 screws to hold this panel on instead of 1/4" screws that the later
trucks used.  Instead of trying to find the proper oval Phillips screws in #
12
I drilled and tapped the door for 1/4x20.  There was plenty of meat in the
welded in nut plates for the larger fasteners.

Just don't be surprised if the stainless door panel screw set that you order

from one of the suppliers doesn't fit your 55.2 door.