Re: [oletrucks] 55.2 door panels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55.2 door panels
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:36:36 -0400
I ran into this same problem as I have a replacement door on the drivers
side of my truck.  Apparently it was an early door because it had the #12
screws. I did some calling around and discovered that the 1955 door was
different from the later ones. At one time, one vender, maybe Chevy Duty
(??) was selling both kinds of screws.  If I remember correctly I found
some screws at Lowe's that did the trick.

At 03:32 PM 09/01/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>I'll bet Heavy Chevy can supply you with some good used ones.
>
>By the way, I ran into a little problem with these door panels.  I purchased
>
>rebuilt doors for my '57 GMC and when I tried to mount the door panels the
>1/4x20 screws were too big for one of the doors.  Turns out that the door
>the
>rebuilder sold to me was from a 55.2 or maybe an early 56 doors which
>used #12 screws to hold this panel on instead of 1/4" screws that the later
>trucks used.  Instead of trying to find the proper oval Phillips screws in #
>12
>I drilled and tapped the door for 1/4x20.  There was plenty of meat in the
>welded in nut plates for the larger fasteners.
>
>Just don't be surprised if the stainless door panel screw set that you order
>
>from one of the suppliers doesn't fit your 55.2 door.

Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck