Re: [oletrucks] Change can be good!

To: rjjmsj@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Change can be good!
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:09:17 -0700 (PDT)
Fodder

Hmmm,

Rob actually asked me about this about a week or so ago, but I've been so
busy I haven't had time to do anything other than think about it.

My thoughts:

Yes the list has grown (nearing 600 members now), but that was to be
expected.

Yes there are times when I don't have time to do anything more than simply
search for subscription requests.  Then I lose out on possible gems of a
techie post or question answered, but that's what the archives are for.

It is possible that splitting up the list could lessen the traffic that you
get, but you will also get less (or none!) email from your oletruck buddies
that are now subbed to the other list.  This would be a bad thing I think.

I have figured out a way to break up the list in such a manner that those
of us who would prefer to have less traffic, can while those that want to
keep things as they are can as well.

Here is my idea on this, rather than going to one-list which is rife with
ads in each and every email, and nigh impossible to keep the spam out.

Given a bit of time, say a week or so I can set up some sub lists:

oletrucks-deco
oletrucks-ad
oletrucks-tf
oletrucks-rod

each of these lists would send all their email to the main list oletrucks.

As a subscriber, you could choose to get the email from just one or more of
the sub lists, or stay the way you are now.

If you were for example just to subscribe to the oletrucks-ad list then you
would only get that email, and you would only send email there--other wise
it would bounce (I have to keep it that way to keep the UCE and spam out we
would see about a dozen messages a day if I didn't).

Members on the other sub lists would not have to deal with your
"non-appropriate" email, and the oletruckers on the main list would benefit
from seeing your words of wisdom.  Their response would work just like
subscribers to the digest can send to the list with out a problem.

This method has a couple of benefits:

1) it doesn't use onelist (a setup I dislike almost as much as lyris which
we left back at the end of 1998)

2) if you don't want to change anything, you don't have to

3) if you want less tripe in your menudo, you can have it

4) not much more work for me over what I am doing now.

the down side:

1) if you subscribe to the smaller lists, then you will have to be responsible
for not posting off topic posts.  (actually this is pretty much the
standard down side for any non generic mail list that wants to stay on
topic--the readers are self enforced).

2) if you don't like the way things are being run now, then you surely will
remain unhappy since I will not be changing how I do things.

-------------------------

Now, my take reguarding the eBay posts:

I've been silent on the matter for two reasons, 1) I've been so damn busy
it isn't even funny, 2) I was hoping that like most things the thread would
work itself out, come to a resolution by majority input.

To my eye, it looked like it had done that.  The group majority seemed to
be against the posting of the ads.

Personally, if I was looking for a part, the last thing I would want is 600
other ole truck fanatics suddenly "in the know" about my find to bid
against me on it.  And if I'm not actively looking, well gee, I'm not
looking for anything why do I want to see a message giving eBay yet more
advertising.

Ebay has never done anything for me, they charge to list the items I might
want to sell there, and they charge again when it finally gets sold asking
for a cut of the profits.  Plus they have like billions of web hits a month
they can charge outrageous prices for banner ads on.  Why do I need to
allow the sellers of said items even more "viewers" especially to an
exclusive group like this list as far as advertising goes.  There are half
a dozen vendors on the list, and I ask them all to refrain from posting ads
to the list, and they comply.

Just because you sign up for spam mail doesn't mean that spam is right.  I
have friends that are new to the internet and they sign up for commercial
postings from various sites (like cnet, or yahoo or amazon or what have
you) so that they can have something in the emailbox every time they fire
it up.  It doesn't take them long to realize that if they subscribe to an
email list about something they have an interest in (hmmm like the
oletrucks list), the same thing will happen except they will actually want
to read it.  (although some of those techno updates from cnet are kinda
interesting.....)

The point?  Just because you are a member of the list, forwarding email
that some find inappropriate, is wrong, even if you like the mail about
ebay items, its still wrong.  eBay seller "mr.foo" is getting free
advertising for his auction that he is not paying for, and remember, he
_is_ paying eBay for the priveledge to sell his item there.

In all honesty, I am at this point about 5 pixels away from making ebay
another one of the verbotten words of this list (along with things like
su*scribe, ha**y99, m*me, h*ml, and mak* money fast).

sheesh, I sit down for 10 minuets to catch up on oletrucks, and now look
what happened.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com