Re: [oletrucks] Tire help needed

To: "mmccormick" <mmccormick@saw.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tire help needed
From: "Marlene Rzepkowski" <mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:49:41 -0400
Mike,
I just replaced the 7.5 x 17 tires on my 59 1 ton with P235-85-R16's mounted
on Z-Racing 16x7 Rims (Same as American Racing Outlaw II Rims - you'll see
they have the best backspace tradeoff to the old rims.).  Everything fit
except the Front rim needed a 1/4 inch thick spacer between the drum and the
rim.  I used lug nuts that have a collar on them to get more threads to
engage so I didn't have to change the studs on the brake drums.  (Lots of
help from National Tire and Battery with all of this).  J.C. Whitney
actually sells a 1/4 inch thick spacer for the 8 Lug x 6.5 inch circle
pattern, but I made mine from 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate.  The 85 in the
tire size is the % of sidewall height to tread width and you are running a
75 series tire and therefore a shorter sidewall.  With the taller sidewall
height, my side bulge is moved farther away from the rim and doesn't touch
any of the steering assembly.  The 1/4 inch thick spacer also helps the
clearance issue as well.   I must say I am shocked though that you are
having any problems, I had a ford steel 16x6 rim and test mounted the P235
85 R16 tire and saw room to spare on my 1 ton.  I thought the 1 ton and 3/4
ton shared the same front suspension, just a different rear axle.

I'm posting this reply to the list as well since there had been a lot of
discussion on tire and rim swaps.  This might jog some more comments to come
to your aide.

Dick
59 Apache 1-ton.