[oletrucks] rear suspension, educate me

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] rear suspension, educate me
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:38:48 EDT
Ryan,

Traction bars transfer torque to the front of the rear leaf spring. They
typically look like a square metal tube clamped to the differential housing
with a rubber bumper against the leaf spring. Traction bars are the easiest
way to gain traction and still keep your vehicle streetable, although they
don't hold up under heavy duty use and they can't be adjusted.

Ladder bars transfer torque directly to the frame rails. Ladder bars are
typically made from two tubes with stiffeners welded in between that make
them look like ladders, hence the name. I've built a couple pairs of ladder
bars for people and I don't care for them. Ladder bars are often homemade
because they are very easy for someone with welding/fabricating skills to
make, but the problem with ladder bars is that they bind when used in
conjunction with leaf springs .

4-link's are the best because they have the rigidity of ladder bars without
binding, they're fully adjustable, and they look cool! 4-link's are basically
4 tubes that are attached to the differential housing and the frame that
locate the rear end and transfer torque to the front of the car. 4-link's
must be used in conjunction with coil-overs and they are pretty expensive.
They also require more adjustment than other options.

If you want to learn more about this stuff I would recommend getting a
catalog from Competition Engineering, they do a very good job of explaining
what options are available and the pros/cons of each. I believe they offer
the catalog free, but I lent mine out to a friend and don't have thier number
handy, they might have a website, I don't know. Maybe someone else could help
with thier number/website? Any other questions, let me know. Good luck.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons