Re: [oletrucks] 55-1 gmc?

To: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55-1 gmc?
From: "Mark Self" <markself@discover.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 07:01:51 -0700
Sorry, I lost the original post.

I assume that the 55 1st GMC windshield is the same as my 55 1st Chevy.

My truck has a crack clear across it.  I figured, I'll have to order one
from the catalogs (for about $175.00), plus shipping.  Then I'll have to
find a glass man to come on site and install it.  Well, I found the glass
man and gave him a call.  Just out of the blue I asked if he might be able
to get a windshield for me.  He asked for what truck.  When I told him it
was for a 1955 Chevy 1st series, he said "well that's kind of old. , give me
a few minutes to check and i'll call you back".  In less than five minutes
he called and said "Yeah I can get it".  Holding my breath I asked "How
much?"  He said "$135.00 plus you'll need new rubber, that's $40.00 and
since you have the deluxe cab with the stainless steel trim, I need a
helper, that's $20.00 extra".  I saod "so that's about $200.00?"  He said
"$195.00 installed on site"

I forgot, that even though this truck is 45 years old, it was a very popular
style and that glass is something that will always nee to be replaced.  By
asking what i thought was a dumb question, I saved over $150.00.  Good luck

Mark Self
Redlands, CA
'55 1st 5-window 3100
"Sentimental Journey"