[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [oletrucks] Revers Flow Muffler

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Revers Flow Muffler
From: "Keith Breuer" <kbreuer@sgi.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:48:59 -0500
> Does anyone know what the term reverse flow means in reference to
> mufflers. I saw this mentioned in a mag article on building a 200 horse
> 235 as well as heard someone specify it as if it is a type of muffler.

According to my 48 to 51 Chevy truck shop manual, reverse flow 
mufflers are a type of muffler that brings the exhaust through two U 
shaped pipes inside the muffler. The pipe has holes in it therefore 
not restricting the exhaust to flow directly through the pip. The 
exhaust gasses intermingle in opposite directions inside the 
muffler. This intermingling aids in silencing.

I have also heard that these type exhausts are more restrictive and 
not ideal for tweaking horsepower from your engine.

The manual says they were used through 1949.

I hope this helps and I hope I got it right!

Keith Breuer

My 1947 3/4 ton Chevy Web Site

oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>