Re: [oletrucks] gas gauge problem

To: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas gauge problem
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:16:48 -0800
Hi Smokey:

I think changing may help.  Older gauges used a continuous voltage feed from
the sending units.  Later ones take an intermittent feed.  I think the
reason for this is to average out the signals coming from the sender to
avoid the dancing needle problem.

Finding out for sure should be pretty easy and cheap.  Just get a spare
sending unit (if you can't find a junker the good suppliers sell repros for
about $40) and graft on new sending unit internals.  I'll be interested to
know if it solves the problem, but even if it doesn't, the experiment should
be fairly economical in both money and time.  Keep your old gauge in case it
doesn't work.

What kind of a gauge do you have?  If you have an older type of gauge, I'm
not sure it will take an intermittent signal even if the voltage is
compatible.

Regards,

Grant S.  gls@4link.net