[oletrucks] Balance resistor

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Balance resistor
From: Perry Smith <perigrinefalcon@netscape.net>
Date: 14 Nov 99 18:44:36 PST
Hi all
 The other day I went to start James (too old to be called jimmy) and crank as
much as I would, no start. Not even a pop. All I got for my trouble was the
smell of raw fuel.When I got to investigating I put a jumper wire across the
resistor and it fired right up. On further investigation I found that there
was no by-pass for the resistor. This truck has a 1981 chevy truck 350 block
with 1968 chevy 327 heads. In the manual that I have(reproduction) there is a
call for a by-pass from the solenoid to the primary lead of the coil, for
cranking only. I am assuming that the starter is of a later generation and
that the solenoid is too, because I added a by-pass to the switched side of
the solenoid up to the primary pole on the coil. Now it will start but as soon
as I release the key it looses ignition spark and dies. The manual shows a
by-pass ativation system on the origonal style solenoid. My question is this,
will the older style solenoid interchange with the newer ones. or should I
just try to install the extra HEI distributor I have in the shed? At this time
I am not sure that there is enough clearance for the larger diameter of the
HEI distributor. Any and all suggestions will be apreciated.

Perry Smith
'58 GMC Fleetside
Phoenix, Arizona