Re: [oletrucks] Hinge pockets

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <Johngage@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hinge pockets
From: "Boteler Family" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:46:28 -0500
John, is this a low budget project?  Do you have more time or money?  There
is a Big window GMC cab with doors and glass in Round Up for .....OUCH!
$2500.00 (x fire truck).

For my son's '56 3100 I welded new inner and outer rear cab corners, steps,
lower hinge pocket face plates and custom made the actual hinge pocket
(lower cowl, behind the fender) on both sides!  It was a lot of work but not
impossible.  We haven't put the cab back on the frame yet so I'm not sure
how it will all work out in the end.  We hope to rough assemble the sheet
metal over the holiday weekend, to check alignment.

For my '56 Wrecker I bought a much better Big window GMC cab which I am
going to convert to Chevy by swapping dashes.  I will still need to replace
the steps and will have to do some miner work at the rear corners.  I paid
$500.00 for the cab and think I am way ahead of the game by doing it like
this!  My original cab is just to rough in to many places.

Good luck with your project!

Mike B. '56 8400 Wrecker  :)