Re: [oletrucks] Hub Cap Retainers Can Be MOVED?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hub Cap Retainers Can Be MOVED?
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:52:50 -0600 (CST)
>Cliff Posted:
>
>    "I transferred the hub cap retainer clips from my stock 15" split rims to
>a set of 16" F*RD rims and mounted the stock Chev half moon hub caps to them.
>It took a little bit of word (read pain in the butt) but now that it's done
>it looks great.  You'll need to shim the clips off the lower dished portion
>of the wheel a little so that the hub clips firmly engage the hub caps so you
>don't loose them."
>
>    Boy that's neat! How are the retainers attached to the Chevy wheels, how
>should they be removed, and how should they be attached to the Ford rims?
>Somehow I had figured they were welded on, and could not be messed with. What
>did you use to shim them? I love the prospect of using the stock Chevy hub
>caps to hide the Ford wheels.
>
>Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
On both of my trucks (driver and parts) they are riveted to the "dimples"
between the holes for the lugs.  Drill the rivet out and they should come
loose.  Drill new holes in the new rim and either rivet them in or put them
in with a screw, lockwasher, and nut (and Loctite).  To space them out a
little, I would use washers under them.  If you have to go a lot, use  some
steel blocks that give better support under the clips.

Many wheels have small holes or dimples for holes for these clips on them
already.

Bruce Kettunen
bekett@uslink.net
'57 3100, all safely tucked away for the winter.