Re: [oletrucks] Alternator vs. generator

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternator vs. generator
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:36:51 -0600 (CST)
>I've been interested in the various reports of experience with generators.
>Those inclined to keep the generator, assuming it functions adequately,
>should also keep in mind that there are different kinds of generators.
>
>One source I read on 12 volt conversions recommended using a Cadillac
>generator because they put out higher amps than those used in other GM
>models.  This might resolve some of the concern over charging during in-town
>driving.
>
>In addition, the generator may not be the culprit at all.  It may be putting
>out enough amps to charge the battery, but if the regulator is set too low,
>the cut-out switch won't allow proper charging.
>
>Regards,
>
>Grant S.  gls@4link.net

If I'm not mistaken, didn't GM offer a high output generator in at least
the late 50's?  I think the mining company trucks around here had them so
that they would keep up with the 2 way tube style radios in the winter.
These trucks idled a lot to keep the heat and lights going.  It may have
been something as simple as a smaller drive pulley so the thing would turn
faster.

Bruce Kettunen
bekett@uslink.net
'57 3100