Re:[oletrucks] OEM 1954 alternator (was Alternator vs. generator)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:[oletrucks] OEM 1954 alternator (was Alternator vs. generator)
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:16:43 -0500
> Actually, Chevrolet offered a 60 amp or 80 amp 6volt alternator in 1954, at
> least in cars.

I can't find anything in my shop manual about it, but I have a copy of Chevrolet
service news from February 1954 that gives testing and service procedures.

I has a picture of the system mounted in a car, it's a large alterntor and the
recitifier is about 4"x4"x6" and mounts to the intake manifold (this was before
diodes!).

It says that they put out 35 to 47 amps at normal idle speed, 60 amps at 12 MPH
and the 80 amp output is reached at 18 MPH.

Boy, I'd like to find one of those in a junkyard!

I bought this service bulletin because my '52 GMC 640 has a Leece-Nelville 100
amp 6V positve ground alternator system on it, but I think it was added by FMC
when they put the fire body on it.

John
1949 Chevy 3800 panel
1952 GMC 640 Firetruck