RE: [oletrucks] TF console

To: "Brian m" <pkupman57@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] TF console
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@amaze.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:43:34 -0500
Brian,

  I know of no such animal that you can just import into your truck.  With
that said, I've found if I can't make it myself, there are readily available
sources of custom items in most areas.  I currently deal with Southampton
Metal Works here in Courtland VA for these things.  The owner is enamored
with old trucks in general and really gets into doing these types of
projects.  It's a pride thing, and he's very happy when something
"different" rolls into his shop.  He loves to exercise his talents and
charges "very" reasonable rates.

  For example, my latest project was to make a "real" trailer hitch out of a
cheapo 11" drop hitch bumper on one of my "newer" trucks...  The style of
the bumper was really nice, but there really was no support to the thing.
It was manufactured as a "looker", rather than a puller.  Mr. Baggett and I
discussed my planned -and possible unplanned- uses for the truck.  He looked
it over, talked with a few of his "boys", and sketched out some plans.  They
all mulled it over, measuring, deciding on materials, angles, figuring
stress loads and points, and did more measuring.  A few hours later, I had a
custom drop hitch bumper that really is a hitch.  My truck will come apart
at the seams before that hitch fails.  "Nothing" is welded onto my frame,
and no new holes were drilled in my frame.  Custom metal work indeed!  Total
cost, $25.00.  I argued about the price, but he waved me off and said that
it was "FUN"!  I'm sure my next adventure with his establishment won't be as
cheap, but I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.

  My point here is simple.  Get out and talk to the small shop owners in
your area.  You'll be truly amazed by the resources at your fingertips.
There "ARE" wonderfully talented craftsman all over the country, and "pride
in workmanship" is not dead.  Remember that in order to get "one-off"
projects done, you need to find out when is best for him or her, and be
flexible.  "The next rainy day", often means just that.  It's well worth the
effort.

Yours, Kevin P.
59' Apache 38/NAPCO