Re: [oletrucks] Howdyaget an "Easy Out" Out?

To: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Howdyaget an "Easy Out" Out?
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:21:50 -0500

CLLLSLS@aol.com wrote:

> Definatley don't use a carbide drill bit. It is the only thing that will
> drill through it, but if you try to use a carbide drill in a hand drill you
> will probably snap it off.

I drill many a broken bolt out where I work. I seldom (never) use easy out's and
EDM is not an option on an entire jet engine. We usually drill it out to size or
nearly size, pick out remnants and re-tap. This way I avoid breaking easy-outs.
have however broken more taps than I care to admit and have drilled them out
with
carbide drills in a hand held drill, often in ridiculous positions. You just
have
to be careful. I have tried the break apart method and it resulted in a lot of
damage to the threads.

Grant,