[oletrucks] Alternator conversion

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 22:54:57 -0700
Howdy...

It's been a couple years since I did this swap, but generally you want
to use the 1973 thru mid 1980s type GM internal regulator alternator.

There are 3 wires to connect on the alternator...the big screw terminal
stud gets wired to the battery, but use 10 gage wire, so you don't fry
the old thin wire.  Then there is a plug in with two prongs.  Go to a
parts store, and buy a replacement plug in end...should set you back a
few bucks.  It will have a red wire, and a white (or brown) wire.  The
red wire goes to the big screw terminal on the alternator.  The white
(or brown) wire goes to the ignition circuit, thru a 10 ohm 10 watt
(could be smaller wattage I suppose) resistor.  This wire should get
power when the key is ON, and not when the key is OFF.  Note, when you
plug in this connecter, there is a lock tab on one side that fits in the
cutout notch in the alternator housing.  Also, the two terminals should
be in
 line  ( -- -- ), not next to each other ( | | ) on the alternator...the
first one is internal regulator, and the second is external regulator.

You may run into trouble, such as the engine won't shut off when you
turn off the key...in which case you could try a higher resistance
resistor, or install a diode in series (no, I don't remember which way).

The old wires probably include one that connects to the ignition
circuit...use it if you can.  Remove the old voltage regulator, and tape
up any other unused wires, or remove them if it's not too difficult.

Additional comments are welcome!  If you went thru this and learned
something that I didn't mention, please let others know about it.

Jim