Re: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion

To: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alternator conversion
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 06:53:03 +0000
> You may run into trouble, such as the engine won't shut off when you
> turn off the key...in which case you could try a higher resistance
> resistor, or install a diode in series (no, I don't remember which way).

I think you would want to keep current from flowing from the alternator back
to the ignition switch. If this is the case then you would want the banded
end (cathode) of the diode going towards the alternator.  I would guess a
1N5401 or -02 would be a good choice for this. It is rated for 100 V or 200V
PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage) which is way overkill. Either is capable of
handling up to 3 amps forward current.  They should be readily available at
Radio Shack.
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck/