Re: [oletrucks] DOOR STRIP RETAINERS

To: <smithchuck@uswest.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] DOOR STRIP RETAINERS
From: "Eric and Linda St.Phillips" <lstphil1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 23:21:25 -0500
Thanks Chuck and also Jim Forbes and the others who responded to this
question.
As usual Jim was right on the money. I went back and checked the old seals
which I removed 2 years ago but threw in a garbage bag and stored away for
future reference and ...lo and behold.. they are round and plump just like
Jim described. Checking the door from the inside there is no sign of any
holes or screw points etc. so at least my 59 GMC never had the metal
retainer strips.  I may call Steele to see about a new set of seals to the
later dimensions. I really don't like the thought of drilling holes in my
freshly painted and rustproofed door. I wonder if the older style seal which
I already installed will hold up without the retainer? I placed the butt
splice in the center of the bottom of the door and I glued a small wooden
rod into the seam with weather strip cement to keep it from spliting.

Eric A. St.Phillips
1959 GMC 100
Fairport, NY