Re: [oletrucks] Members Experiences with Big TF Trucks

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <DeLibre@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Members Experiences with Big TF Trucks
From: "Boteler Family" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 02:21:09 -0500
Hello....(name?)  If your 450 GMC is what I think it is it is a LCF 2-1/2
ton rig.  There aren't  to many parts being reproed, only what is shared
with the pickups.

What year is it?  What is it's GVW?  Being it's a GMC it could have air
brakes, I think GMC started using them in '51(?) and it could also have a
Pontiac V8 or diesel.  The front fenders are hinged and swing out to allow
access to the motor compartment.  Tires could be 10.00 x 22.5 tubeless
mounted on Bud wheels.

Most mechanical parts (brakes, seals, gaskets, bearings, etc.)can be bought
new from a BIG truck parts store, just expect to pay more for the parts.  It
cost me $1,000.00 to redo the brakes and seals on my Chevy 8400 (2-1/2 ton)
Wrecker and $900.00 for tires!  I still need to do the springs and steering
at some point.

These trucks are cheap to buy and very expensive to restore.  I found NOS
front fenders for my truck and am going to get them in a week or two, been
looking for 3 years!  They will cost more then I paid for the truck.......

You can see my truck on Wayne's Chevytrucks.org site.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Mike B. '56 8400 Wrecker  :)