Re: [oletrucks] Conversion to Automatic Transmission

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Conversion to Automatic Transmission
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:47:19 EST
In a message dated 01/20/2000 12:25:39 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Banjomike@aol.com writes:

<<
 1.  I have what is supposed to be a Chevy 350 transmission, however, there
is
  nothing on the transmission that indicates what it is (no numbers, no GM
 symbol) and there is no connection for a  kickdown cable.  Are there
 transmissions that don't have them?
My first thought is that it isn't a TH350. If it is, there should be a hole
in the top of the oil pan flange where the kickdown cable attaches. There
would be a wire link protruding from the hole.

 2. There is an electrical connection--a male plug.  What is that for?
 TH400's have an electrical connection for the kickdown, but I've never seen
a TH350 with a lock-up torque converter. They may have a connector as well.

 3.  For those of you who have done this, would you recommend taking out the
 original cross member?  It does look like the automatic would barely squeak
 by. >>
I tried to leave the crossmember in, but there wasn't room. You may be able
to keep it if you cut away the crossmember for clearence, but I don't know.
The clock was running on my engine hoist rental, so I removed the rivets, and
cut the crossmember in half to get it out. If you do cut away most of the
crossmember and it fits, I'd recommend reinforcing the crossmember across the
bottom by welding a piece of heavy metal across the open channel (the
crossmember is U-shaped).

Let us know how it turns out.