Re: [oletrucks] valve adjust

To: Thomas M OBrien <tmobrien@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] valve adjust
From: jelerath@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:16:28 -0700

Tom,
I know what you are going thru.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to
adjust the hydraulic valves on my Z28's 350 until I read the instructions
VERY carefully.  But this might help.  If you go to the Chevelle Tech page
at http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref17.html there is some good
detail as to how to adjust your valves.  These are for setting valve
adjustment with the engine off (on an engine stand is really nice).  The
hardest part is knowing "loose" and "tight", or when is the valve "just
starting to open".  I found that if I tighten the rocker to "spec" then
rotate the engine I could spin the push rod.  So I tightened it some more
and after rotating the engine, I could spin the push rod.  I thought that
the push rod would be too tight to turn after adjusting the valve....NOT
SO!!

After rotating the engine to get the correct valve in position, loosen the
rocker so there is obvious clearance between the valve stem and the rocker.
Then use a 0.002" feeler guage to set the initial starting point.  Then
tighten the recommended number of turns.  My failure to properly know what
my initial starting point was created a nightmare, resulting in adjusting
the valve lash 3 times.

By the way, I installed a Edelbrock cam and it gave slightly different
instructions than Chilton's.  Their recommendation is to adjust the exhaust
valve just after (or is it before?) the exhaust valve opens and the intake
just before it was to open (or close).  If interested, I can look these up
to get them correct. The purpose of this slight difference in positioning
was to accomodate non-symmetrical cams.

By the way, there is a lot of good technical reference info at
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/  and you may want to look around the rest
of the site.  It has lots of "older" Chevy engine information.

Jon '53 3100 w/ '68 Chevelle 327
jelerath@us.ibm.com

Thomas M OBrien <tmobrien@juno.com>@autox.team.net on 01/30/2000 10:14:58
PM