Re: [oletrucks] To those running the T-5 with the i-6....

To: <Passnb4U@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] To those running the T-5 with the i-6....
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:17:14 -0800
Hi Mike,

This may seem ironic, given my recent puzzlings over mix n'match new/old
technology, but I did say I wasn't a purist!  But of course the T-5 isn't
visible and is a necessary addition to make the truck driveable at highway
speeds.

I had a local trans shop build a T-5 for me with a camaro main case and an
S10 tail housing.

The '80s Camaro T-5s have an 18 degree twist which puts the tail housing at
a funny angle when you bolt up to a 235.  You can see the bell housing
offset in the camaro in this photo
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56pics.html.

The shift also comes out too far back on the car versions, whereas the S-10
tail housing has the shift at the front.  The camaro versions have a closer
set of ratios, however, than the S-10s.  Early camaros, novas, etc., did not
have the twist, but they also had the shift in the wrong place.

Grant Galbraith reports using S-10 T-5s satisfactorily, but using 1st as a
granny low and basically driving on 2-5.  He says the S-10 versions he's
used did not have the camaro twist.

I read recently on another site that you can put Ford World Class T-5
internals into a Chevy T-5 case, and that these will handle an extra 100
horses or so.  Don't know if this was hot air or just what.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net