Re: [oletrucks] To those running the T-5 with the i-6....

To: Passnb4U@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] To those running the T-5 with the i-6....
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:09:36 -0500
   I've put about 12K on my truck with the t-5. I have four t-5's I've picked up
at swaps and seen several others. I've never bought or seen one with the twist
Grant Simmons talks about and I think I would avoid it. I would also avoid a 91
or later with electronic speedo as it is expensive to change it to mechanical. A
3.90 rear works well for me.
   You can use the whole S-10  t-5 or just any t-5 with the s-10 tailshaft. It
is
the s-10 tailshaft that locates the shifter in a more forward position. You can
also put the v-8 gears in the s-10 case if you so desire. I'm told Mustang uses
"World Class" or somewhat less wimpy gears as well as 89 on GM's. I do use the 4
cyl gears with 4.03 1st as a granny gear and start off in 2nd. I'm torn between
these gears and putting in v-8 gears with 2.95 first. The 4.03 is sure nice off
road but the 2.95 will make for nice close ratio shifts. I've found the v-8
models rather elusive and more expensive at swaps. So if you want close ratio
gears you may have to buy two tranny's and put them together.
    Basic mods to bolt it in are to shorten the input shaft pilot and input
shaft
bearing retainer, ream mounting holes to next fractional size and switch the
speedo drive gear to Camaro drive gear chosen  four your drive train. You will
also need to find a clutch disc to match the splines on the t-5 input shaft
unless you are lucky enough to have a tranny with 10 tooth spline. Mine was 1
inch 14 and I used an 85 Astro Van 11 inch disc with a small block pressure
plate
bolted to the 235 flywheel. Be warned not all Astro Van discs use the same hub
so
some careful fitting without the pressure plate installed is in order to check.
Make sure you can return parts. This hybrid approach is getting harder to do
with
more and more parts places selling only clutch kits.
   For the person who recently asked about the stoutness of the t-5 compared to
stock truck 4 speed there is no comparison. If you want to pull stumps stick
with
the 4 speed.

Grant