[oletrucks] Several Questions????

To: owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Several Questions????
From: Pastorjon994@cs.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 02:20:37 EST
    I have several questions about my '50 Chevy 3100 and would like to tap
into your experience and expertise in the following areas:

1.  I have about 3 inches of "slop" (clock & counter clock) in the steering
wheel.  What is the likely cause? Tie rod ends?

2.  I have a hood ornament on my hood.  I understand that these were
accessories added by dealers.  There are 2 holes in the top of my ornament.
Is something missing?

3.  There are no decal plates on the sides of my hood.  Do I need both the
Chevrolet and 3100?  Does 3100 go under the Chevrolet plate?

4.  Door handle droop.  What's the best fix?

5.  Were arm rests standard on these trucks?

6.  The truck, I believe was originally forester green.  Did that color
follow thru to the interior?  Steering Wheel & horn button appears to be that
color.

7.  How would I know which seat material and door panel material to go with
in order to be as close to original as possible? Brown or black?

8.  What parts outlet have you found to be the best all-around?

9.  Can you generally get parts at an "ordinary" outlet like NAPA?  Or is it
always best to go to a mail order "Classic Parts Outlet"?

10. I've seen pictures of "original restorations"  some show the front grill
painted and some show chrome.  Which is most original?

11. Was the air breather a "paper filter" or oil bath, or combination of the
2. I am having trouble locating a paper type filter. Approx 6" diameter and
about 1.5" high.

12.     Where is the best place to get defroster flex hose?

13. Where is the best place to get replacement shock absorbers?

14. What is the best way to determine if leaf springs need to be reworked or
replaced? None seem to be broken.

15. In order to replace interior metal, driver side, left of left foot and
passenger side, right of right foot.  What is best metal to use?  Should I
pop rivet?  Open to all recommendations.

Jon Callahan '50 3100