Re: [oletrucks] 46 wheel cylinder

To: jhouse@ccsolution.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 46 wheel cylinder
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:48:04 EST
In a message dated 2/10/00 7:25:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jhouse@ccsolution.com writes:

> I have been going through the bottles of break fluid - each time I want to
>  drive the truck.  So I found the leek in the front left wheel.  Originally,
>  I was told to get a new master cylinder (however it is not leaking) and I
>  did not make this change.
>
>  Now if I just replace one wheel cylinder will is work so much better the
>  remaining three should be replace at the same time?  Also if I just replace
>  one wheel cylinder should I bleed all four wheels - or just the one I was
>  working on.
>
>  I found the parts at NAPA and if I order by 3 PM I can pick them by 6 PM -
>  is this service for a 50+ year old truck!
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Jim House

  Jim,

  At a minimum I'd at least pull all wheel cylinders and see if they need a
rebuild, assuming the one leaking is caused by rust/oxidation in it , rust
has a way of hiding inside the rubber.  I'd also pull the M/C too and take it
apart and see what it looks like.

  I just replaced all the W/C's, rebuilt the M/C and made up new brake lines
on my '59 about 3 weeks ago, took about 6 or  7 hours over the pit.  I had
one partially stuck wheel cylinder and wasn't getting good braking from it,
then decided to look at the other, more I looked, more the reason to replace
it all.  I'd just rebuilt everything 4 or 5 years ago too and flushed the
lines.

  But.....even if you only replace one, I'd still bleed all 4 until clear
fluid comes out of each one.

  Mike