[oletrucks] how to remove rear break drums?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] how to remove rear break drums?
From: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:27:19 -0500
I have a 46 Chevy 1/2 ton:

Thanks for all of you input on the jacks.  I purchased a MVP 3 ton floor
jack ($69.00) and MVP 6 ton stands ($24.00) from Wal-Mart.  Thanks for the
input.  Now the truck is up and I am going after the breaks first.

I have a question first on jack stand locations.  I placed the front stands
on the axle just under the spring u clamp connections.  In the rear I then
jacked it up from the bottom of the axle shaft.  And I placed the jack
stands on the rear axle about in line with the front stands.  IS THIS
CORRECT???  Or should the rear jack stands be placed on the frame behind the
rear spring shackles?

Well as you may know I do not have a clue of what I am doing.  So all of my
new knowledge comes from this listing and reading the shop manual.  Well
that worked great for removing the front wheels and drums.  Now I have moved
onto the back.  Well I can not get the rear drums off.  I can not locate the
"break drum retaining nuts" the shop manual references. The only other help
in the shop manual on this topic is to "remove the drums".  I have turned
down the wheel cylinder and gave great yanks to the drum.  Is there a
release that I can not see or a special way to get these drums off?

Thanks,
Jim House