[oletrucks] 305 in a 3100-1/2 ton

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 305 in a 3100-1/2 ton
From: rtbros@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:28:13 -0500 (EST)
Andy:

I read over all the email's that was posted as a result of your inquiry about
replacing the
original 216 with a small block chevy. First of all we have a 1950 1/2 ton
(3100) 5 window.
We purchased the truck, which at the time was all original. My son (16 at the
time) blew the
main bearing in the first two months. He talked us into rodding it out. It
became a frame up.

We purchased a 1980 camaro Z-28 to use as a donor car. At first we thought it
had a 350...and
then realized it was a 305. We were about to dump it...and then we did some
research. What we
found out was that with a little effort (& money) a 305 is a great engine. w
eused the orginal
turbo 350 and the original rear axle.

We started at the dip level, had the heads machined, did a valve job, and
replaced the original
pistons with new (std) ones. Used the original crank. Added a edlebrock
performer plus 2103 cam
(approx. one step up from the original Z-28 cam). As I rememeber it has a lift
of 216 degrees at
.050. Then we added a edlebrock matched (2101) intake...and a Edlebrock 1406
(650 c.f.m.)
4BBL carb. Added hooker headers.

The bottom line is...we love the 305. Its a great performer (its rated at about
300 H.P.) which
is more than three times the original 216) and gets great gas mileage. We think
about 18
depending on how much you open up the second 2 barrels.

I agree that if your looking for just H.P. and/or torque and your have to buy a
engine...get a
350. But if your looking for alot more kick with good gas milege...a 305 is a
real sleeper.
Incidentally. with the hooker headers, the edlebrock cam, and 2.75 exhaust out
the side in front
of the rear wheels, its frankly amazing how many ask if we have a big block
under the hood.

Best of luck to you in your project. We've really enjoyed ours.

Jim Wright
50 3100 5 window (rodded)