[oletrucks] Dash / Windshield Removal

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Dash / Windshield Removal
From: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:04:50 -0500
I'm in the process of trying to remove the dash in my 53 1/2 ton.  It's got
an ugly hole in the center from a previous attempt at installing a radio.
I'd like to patch the hole, and possibly do some further customizing around
the instrument cluster area, installing a selection of gauges other than the
2 large standard gauges that it was originally designed for.  Another
alternative would be to replace the dash with an aftermarket model that is
different from the stock unit.  Is the dash welded in or is it a simpler
process for removal?

I'd also like to remove the 2-piece windshield (saving the glass in the
process) so that I can eventually paint the areas under the seal, as well as
fix any potential rust situation.  I've got the inside surround strips
removed, as well as the outside aluminum center strip.  Where do I go from
there?  Does the center bar on the inside get removed before the glass comes
out, it seems like it might be tacked in.  I'm trying to avoid using the
5-lb hammer method.    =8^)

Thanks as always for the great help from the group.

Wally / Templeton, MA
where it's raining and the snow's disappearing and warmer weather and flea
markets are just around the corner!!