RE: [oletrucks] non-vented gas cap/tank

To: "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] non-vented gas cap/tank
From: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:27:17 -0700
I have experienced tank collapse first hand.  A few years ago I owned a 65
F**d Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe...I know, I know, but it was a very cool car.
But anyway, it has a flimsy non-baffled tank, and shortly after I bought it
I was driving down the interstate in the winter, in the dark, in rush hour
traffic and it quit on me (not something I would care to repeat).  Turns out
it had a non-vented gas cap which caused a vacuum strong enough so that the
fuel pump could not deliver any more fuel and also collapse the tank -
looked like a crushed beer can.  I drilled a small hole in the cap and ended
up having to replace the tank.  I think the old Chevy truck tanks are strong
enough to resist collapsing, but I would still recommend a vented cap.

<
<
<The reason it will callapse is the vacuum is pulling on the
<entire surface with
<the weakest portion going first.
<
<