Re: [oletrucks]fuel injection

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks]fuel injection
From: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:38:06 -0800
Another option is a complete DIY job. A programmable computer costs about
$800-$1000. New injectors run at least $400. Add a 4 barrel single plane
manifold, $100. Buy a throttle body, $400, or use a mechanical secondary
carb. Fabricate, hack, slash, weld, plug in your laptop computer, and you'll
wish you had bought the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock is the only sequential
system in the price range. However, I'm stubborn, and if I decide to do fuel
injection, I'll probably try to save a buck. It should be possible to plug
the PROM into an emulator, and use a laptop to adjust the fuel & spark
curves while driving. I have no idea which emulator works or how much it
costs. The computer is quite simple, really. It stores fuel curves in a 16
by 16 matrix. One axis is RPM, the other is load. It rounds the inputs to
the nearest spot on the matrix. It then adds or subtracts a percentage of
fuel based on coolant temp, oxygen sensor reading, and some others that I
can't remember.
The computer has the ability to learn new curves, up to a point. It reads
the oxygen sensor and adjusts accordingly. If, however the correction is too
much, it blames the sensor, sets a trouble code, and limps home.
Having a company burn a custom PROM costs about $200-$300, pretty cheap in
the grand scheme of things.