Re: [oletrucks] late model p/u ifs

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] late model p/u ifs
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:56:52 -0700
HI!

There's an early 50s Chevy truck in Tucson with a 70s or 80s 3/4 front
clip under it.  Even with stock wheels, which have negative offset, the
tires are past the fenders.  I don't like the looks of it (the
suspension, that is, the rest of the truck looks neat!)  but I don't
know what others think.

I'd suggest finding something else to use.  If you want to keep your
truck a 3/4 ton, you may want to just do some ingenious fabricating, and
put disk brakes and power steering on the stock straight axle.  You may
want to just go to car type suspension all around, and make it look like
a typical hot rodded truck....

Other opinions may vary   :)
Jim

Jack wrote:
I have a 79 3/4 ton front end that I want to put under my 49 GMC 3/4
ton. The problem of course is the track width. Is there anyone out there
who has done it and if so did it look to wide to the casual viewer ?
were there any clearance problems with the wheels out that far ? If I
measured right I would gain nearly 7 inches in width.

Also has anyone tried narrowing one of these assemblies, if so how did
it work and how did you do it ?