Re: [oletrucks] Stainless steel?

To: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>, <sculver@iwl.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Stainless steel?
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:05:46 -0800
Hi Smokey,

According to my not-very-precise understanding, the various alloys of
stainless vary in their resistance to corrosion.  The most resistant is 316,
but it doesn't machine as well as 303 or weld as well as 304, which corrode,
though much less than mild steel.

You'd think they'd make bed strips, which are designed to be exposed to the
elements, out of highly corrosion resistant alloys.  My 55 Buick has a ton
of stainless, all bent into much more bendy shapes than bed strips, and
never a hint of rust, although they get a bit dull if not polished
occasionally.

I'd be inclined to send the strips back and look for another supplier.

Regards,

Grant S.