Re: [oletrucks] off-topic '55 nomad not charging

To: "Dave P" <my51truck@eudoramail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] off-topic '55 nomad not charging
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:58:38 -0700
HI Dave,

The relay below the voltage regulator is for the horn and it's just a
junction for the Pos. wire from the alternator to connect before it moves to
the gauge.

First of all Does your gauge work?  If you turn on the headlights will the
gauge show a discharge?  If it does then we can move on.  Does your B+ wire
from the Alternator go to the gauge and then to the starter?  That's the
proper flow of current is from the alternator to the gauge to the starter
then back to the battery.

A quick check to see if it's charging is with the car running place a
screwdriver at the back of the alternator "where the bearing cap is"  the
bearing cap will be magnetized and will attract the screwdriver.

If it's not charging and you want to check if it's your regulator you can
bypass the regulator with a jumper wire from the B+ terminal on the
alternator to the F terminal on the alternator.

If you don't have a gauge and use a idiot light "can't remember my Brother
in-laws 55 Nomad,  the bulb must be in working order to complete the circuit
or it won't charge either!!!

CHECK THAT BULB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe
http://chevy1.freeservers.com/