Re: [oletrucks] AD Door Hinges

To: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD Door Hinges
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 18:40:10 -0500
I just successfully replaced the Door Hinge pivot pin and springs on my 50
3100. To add to your notes (which were great I must add) I figured out the
following:

1) I have a 115 Pc. Drill Bit Set (available for about $10-$20) that is
numbered, lettered, and fractional. This came in really handy for this
project since I found the fractionals to be all wrong in some cases. Pick
one of these up if you dont have it before embarking on this project.

2) I used a center punch then a #19 drill bit to drill the pilot hole. This
is after hack sawing the hinge from the hinge frame. The pilot hole is on
the hinge. Since there is so much to drill out, drilling the pilot hole
clear thru the hinge was very important.

3) Next, I used a Letter R Drill to PERFECTLY clear out the debris and get
the hinge back to where it was before the factory put the pin in. The 21/64
bit was too small and the 11/32 was too big for now. This step is important
so that you can ensure you didnt take too much out.

4) Next, I used the 11/32 drill to make the hole accept the oversized pin
that Chevy Duty sells. The pin is oversized, and its important not to make
the hole too big. 11/32 is perfect for the hinge part.

5) To get the hinge frame ready, I drilled a #19 pilot hole in both sides to
remove the last part of the pin that was stubbornly refusing to disembark!

6) Heres the important part... use the Letter R Drill to clean out the hinge
frame and go NO further!! Letter R is perfect for the tight fit necessary
for the pin to stay put in the hinge frame while moving freely in the hinge.

I used a caliper to come to the necessary conclusions and it worked out
perfect. You can get all the sizes you need from any decent tool store. The
lettered and numbered bits are becoming just as prevalent as the
fractionals. Since in some cases, they are in between fractionals as in this
case.. it worked out great!

Hope this helps someone!

Deve
50 3100