Re: [oletrucks] 54 car drums

To: Don Simmons <tasimmons@cbnn.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 54 car drums
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:13:39 -0700
Don (and others who are contemplating this):

I think I did not explain this well enough...the extra part that you
need to get from the car is NOT the brake backing plate, but only the
small dust shield that goes between the backing plate, and the bearing.
It is a thin disk, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter, with a hole in the
middle.  This part may be missing from your truck after all these years,
so you may not know what I'm talking about.  You can run without this
part, but DON'T try to use the truck dust shield with the car hub!

The original 50s vintage truck backing plates (NON-Huck brakes) will
work just fine with the car hubs/drums.  If you have Huck brakes, then
you'll need the brake backing plate and all the other goodies from a
later AD truck (I'm not sure if the car and truck use the same backing
plate).

Jim