Re: [oletrucks] 350 Buick Engine vs Chevy

To: phippsj@camalott.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350 Buick Engine vs Chevy
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:35:07 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/00 11:33:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
phippsj@camalott.com writes:

> Hi all!  I haven't been working on my poor old 57 3600 in quite a while, but
>  now that summer's back, I'm ready to start again.  What I was hoping
someone
>  could answer was, what would be the major downfalls to using a 78 Buick 350
>  engine instead of a Chevy 350?  I haven't found a good deal on a
rebuildable
>  Chevy 350 (rodders all grabbing them up) locally, but have a chance to get
>  good running Buick 350 from a 78 Century.  The tranny's bad, so it'll have
>  to be replaced.  My guess is that the trans from my old 283 won't swap over
>  to the Buick, and I'm afraid I'll get stuck having to pay too much to get a
>  good Buick tranny.  That's about the biggest problem I see for now.  Should
>  I keep looking for a rebuildable Chevy 350 or would the Buick engine be ok?
>  I'm doing this on a budget, so costs count.  Any suggestions or comments
>  would be greatly appreciated.
>    Also, I've been subscribed to this list for over a year now.  Although I
>  seldom have occasion to offer my own advice (so many of ya'll know so much
>  more than me), I thoroughly enjoy reading all the advice, opinions, and
just
>  about everything else.  Ya'll are a great bunch!  Thanks to all.
>
>  Jim Phipps, 57 3600

  Jim,

  You won't have any problems so to speak of....but a '78 Buick motor isn't
one of Buick's best.  Any mount could be fabricated, and the motor is just a
little wider than a SBC if I recall, I had a 350 "Wildcat" in a old Jeep
pickup once, it did run good.

  You could get the Buick tranny rebuilt, cost should be the same as a Chevy
TH350.

  Modifications such as headers, intake, heads, cams, etc., would most likely
cost more, and you'd have less of a selection.

  It's not as if you're putting in a Fart, er, Ford motor :)

Mike