Re: [oletrucks] paint ?'s

To: "David" <mytruck@hehe.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] paint ?'s
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:51:12 -0700

>Someone told me once about colorsanding to get a
>better finish, but I have forgotten the details.  So I guess I am just
>looking for general tips before I spray, especially regarding colorsanding.
>What grit paper, etc.  How fine should the primer be sanded before
>spraying?

I usually consider the primer finished when I get to about 400 wet paper.  I
think many people go not go this fine, but they're pros, and are usually in
more of a hurry than I am.

I begin colorsanding with 500 or 600  and go to 1000 and finally 1500 all in
soapy water with a flexible sanding block (actually a small rectangle of
stiff rubber with 1/2 in holes in it).  From there you can start with
rubbing compound.  Use a light touch and don't be afraid to reshoot a coat
or two if you find a goof you missed.  The ability to go over your mistakes
in a deliberate and unhurried way is the big advantage of a DIY paint job.

Regards,

Grant S.