Re: [oletrucks] California DMV registration

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] California DMV registration
From: jelerath@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:30:31 -0600

Grant,
I live in CA.  I have a '53 3100 that requires no smog cert.  In reality, I
can put any engine I want in it because I am never asked to get it smogged.
This law is going to a rolling 30 years soon.  That is, no vehicle over 30
years old will be required to pass a smog test.  Again, if my '67 Mustang
is no longer required to be smogged, I can drop in anything I want. (High
performance 351 Cleveland)

Where you get caught is in a vehicle that DOES get smogged, say a 1977
Chevy 1/2 ton.  If I have an older engine, say 1967, I still have to meet
the 1977 polution levels.  If I have a newer engine in it, say 1982, then I
need to meet the smog levels for that year engine, ie, 1982.

Bottom line...... for our old trucks, we have no requirement to get it
smogged at all!!!!!  Put in a brand new Corvette engine without smog and
have fun.

ps.  This is not a legal brief; please check with your local DMV to verify
this (I don't want anybody getting in trouble because of me)

Jon Elerath
jelerath@us.ibm.com

"G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>@autox.team.net on 05/05/2000 10:37:14 AM

Please respond to "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>